The Wizard of Grand will be traveling across the state of Michigan to the Detroit area tomorrow morning to spend 4 days with Pagans, Witches, and Occultists in a swanky hotel. That’s right, I’m attending Convocation– the Mid-West’s biggest Pagan convention. Convocation uses a different card of the Major Arcana as the theme for each year. I attended the Death and the Devil years, and this year is the Sun. It seems like I will finally get to experience a year that isn’t super heavy.
It is a great pleasure for me to attend this year because the man I regard as my best friend, mentor in the Art, and spiritual brother, Matthew Venus of Spiritus Arcanum, will be traveling with me and my partner to Convocation. Matthew will be teaching 3 workshops, all of which I am greatly looking forward to. Matthew grew up in the Detroit area, successfully ran a coven there, and has taught at Convocation every year he has attended. Now, Matthew lives in Salem, MA with his partner working on Spiritus Arcanum. But enough about Matthew.
I am really looking forward to seeing old acquaintances, favorite authors, and meeting new potential friends. As a cerebral trivia-sponge, I will more than enjoy myself attending workshops and getting a glimpse of other people’s theories and practices. I hope there is a night when a group of us get together with some wine and have a philosophical symposium of the Occult into the wee hours. Ah…. Heaven.
Posted in Uncategorized
Tagged Convocation, Detroit, Devil, Major Arcana, Matthew Venus, Michigan, Mid-West, Occult, pagan, Spiritus Arcanum, Sun, tarot, Tower, Witch, Wizard of Grand, Workshop
Greetings to you, Oh Curious Wanderer! Welcome to the blog of The Curio Cabinet and it’s owner, the Wizard of Grand. The Curio Cabinet was established in 2010 to serve those seekers of a magical life. Besides being the online occult journal of the Wizard, thecuriocabinet.wordpress.com will serve as an interface for clients to learn about the Wizard and the development of The Curio Cabinet. Check out what The Curio Cabinet and the Wizard have to offer! Curious about our terminology?
- Sorcery– At The Curio Cabinet, this word defines the art of divination due to it’s etymological roots in the Latin word sors, which meant “lots,” as in “casting lots,” or divination. This encompasses the arts of Tarot, Astrology, Dream Interpretation, and other forms that the Wizard of Grand can perform.
- Witchcraft– Without ruffling the feathers of too many purists and anthropologists, we like to use the term “witchcraft” to define the techniques of folk magic, without attaching it to any specific religion or cosmology. This includes, but is not limited to or defined by, the observance of sympathetic magic, the use of magical herbalism and perfumery, candle magic, warding the evil eye, and other ancestral, folk wisdom passed on from generation to generation.
- Theurgy– This word comes from the Greek θεουργία which literally means “God work.” Part of the Work of The Curio Cabinet is to help foster spiritual growth in individuals. With the knowledge of Neo-Platonism, Hermetic Philosophy, and Ceremonial Magic, the Wizard of Grand is able to aid in the construction and performance of ceremonies of transition and transformation.
A List of Our General Services
- Tarot– The Wizard has always had a deck of Tarot cards since the early days of his occult studies. Focusing on the rich symbolism of the Major Arcana of the Tarot, the Wizard of Grand discovered a enlightening journey of personal growth. The Wizard can read the cards in a variety of spreads to help you find own way to a journey towards enlightenment.
- Astrology– Working with the 7 planets and the 12 signs of the zodiac in the tropical scheme, the Wizard of Grand can cast and interpret a variety of horoscopes based on the astrological lore of ancient, classical, medieval, and renaissance authors.
- Onieromancy– It may have been vivid and ludid dreams that led the Wizard of Grand towards a fascination with symbolism and hidden meanings. Many figures in his early life encouraged and inquired him about the meanings of dreams. While everyone’s dream symbolism is their own, the Wizard of Grand can assit in the interpretation and understanding of dreams.
- Ritual– Often times in our mechanized, technology-obsessed world, we have forgotten the ancient technology of our ancestors, and that is ritual. Life may require many rituals to aid in the transition and transformation of energy. Coming from a Hermetic approach, the Wizard of Grand can construct rituals and ceremonies appropriate to the individual as the need dictates. On the occasion, the Wizard can perform or guide the ritual for the client. In some circumstances, the Wizard may be able to perform rituals alone on behalf of the client.
- Magical Perfumery– An early interest in herbalism in combination with traditional teachings led to the Wizard’s favorite craft, the art of incenses and oils. Using all-natural ingredients, these ceremonial perfumes are hand-crafted under auspicious observances. A variety of ingredients for a plethora of the conditions of life and beyond, the Wizard of Grand can craft many different types of perfumes for offering in ritual or wearing as a scent for magical effect.
- Tools– Dabblers in magic that are brave enough to go beyond mere curiosity and begin the work themselves are bound to seek the use of ritual tools and objects. For those of you who want to be an owner, and most importantly, a weilder of such magical items, the Wizard of Grand can put his craftmanship towards your use! Wands and staves, divining sets, rosaries and prayer beads, spell kits and more.
- Talismans– The art of making images is ancient and controversial, and one the Wizard is practiced in and fond of. For a variety of uses in a variety of forms, talismans, amulets, icons and idols can be crafted by the Wizard of Grand to draw good luck, to protect from misfortune, to communicate with the divine, for a focal-point of inspiration, and more.
- Consultation– The Wizard of Grand has an open ear and can help you with almost anything of an occult or spiritual nature. While he is not a certified councilor, priest, therapist and cannot promise any medical or professional help, the Wizard can add his two cents in on certain topics. Consultation can be paired with a divination and a follow-up ritual to help you better attain the future you desire.
See anything that sparks your curiosity? Contact The Curio Cabinet and The Wizard of Grand through e-mail or comments on the blog. Come back soon!
Posted in Uncategorized
Tagged astrology, curio cabinet, Dream Interpretation, Grand Rapids Michigan, Incense, magic, Neoplatonism, Oneiromancy, Religion and Spirituality, sorcery, tarot, Theurgy, West Michigan, Witchcraft, Wizard, Wizard of Grand